Thursday, May 3, 2012

The week of endings

I Spy quilt finished. Pleated border. Buttons. 384 appliqued "I Spy" squares.
And then the I Spy quilt. It is finished! For many of you who see me out and about, you know that I have been plugging away on this baby for the past two years or so. I had a little Le Kit box that was from my childhood which I carted around in my diaper bag. At every spare moment, I would sew on a couple of little squares. At the drop-in centre. At the pool. At the playground. I was trying to bring in applique like the knitters brought in knitting.

For the backing, I used an old sarong I got from Nelson, BC back when I was in high school. It was the sarong I was wearing when I met my husband, although I haven't worn it in a long time and I don't plan to again.


My Non-Quilt Related Observations--Making It Work


Detail of "I Spy" quilt. 2012
I am often asked how we can afford to have four children with only one income. In the first place, my husband is a skilled professional who is an excellent provider and husband. (This is why I married him!) That being said, there are many people in his place of employment where BOTH parents are skilled professionals. I sometimes think that I could be a skilled professional if I had someone to watch all my kids, but this isn't the life we are choosing.

My life works well because I use two "exciting" economizing strategies: "making it work" and "waiting it out." Making it work means using things I already have to do tasks that often require other tools. This works for cookware (using a wine bottle for a rolling pin or envelopes for a funnel) to kids toys (yogurt container sandcastles, anyone?) to quilting (sarongs can be a backing!).

The point is, if you have something that works okay, just use it. Marketers and stores are trying to tell you that you NEED a quesadilla maker. (I will admit that I currently have two waffle makers though.) Also, I fight the urge to get all the attachments to any product that I use. I don't need the pasta maker that goes onto my mixer. I just don't. I look at a need I think I have and then spend my time trying to find another way to fill it. D doesn't have any shorts, but he does have a pair of holey sweat pants.
holey sweat pant + scissors = shorts

My second strategy is waiting it out. I use this primarily in our housing, but also in many other things. I might think I need a bigger house, but I'm planning on waiting until I feel I NEED a bigger house and then I plan on waiting another year. I try to do the same for everything else as well. When I feel I need a new t-shirt, I start by doing laundry. Then eventually I realize that I only have one shirt that doesn't have oil stains on it before I go out and find more. (This oil stains are getting more common since we started an exciting future with "Deep Fried Sundays." Good for the tastebuds, but not for the waistline.)

These could both be summarized by "buying less" but I believe that people generally know that to live more economically, they need to buy less. (Or maybe they think they can just buy cheaper although I don't subscribe to this.)

6 comments:

  1. Good Post! I'll limit my comments as I could go on this topic forever and reach out into my Vote with your dollar rant. It is fun to 'live on less' and honestly I feel many people would be amazed to realize they can trim down their consumeritis and still enjoy life just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well . . . you should have told me you had TWO waffel makers and then you could have brought one to me when you came to visit . . . mine fell off the shelf and broke irreparably and I miss it! (but not enough to go out and buy a new one!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. I think you wore the sarong as a skirt when you visited me several years/husband/children ago . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, where do all those oil stains on my shirts come from? I find this so annoying!
    Also, I Love that last line Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Lena... by the way, for a slow quilter talking about making a quilt per year, you sure seem to be burning through making those beautiful quilts :)... I can't believe they are both done by hand! (Not that I know a thing about quilt making.)
    Flan

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Blue Girl: I have four kids; I need two waffle makers for me.
    @Flannery: These quilts have all come together in the last few weeks for the Regina Quilt show (on now!). Both the Citrus Quilt and the I Spy, I have been working on in tandem for the past two years.

    ReplyDelete