Sunday, May 13, 2012

Regina Quilt Show -- I Won! I Can't Believe It!

My two ribbons and me. Maybe I should have done something
more with my hair?
This year, I decided to enter four quilts into the Regina Quilt Show. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but my I Spy quilt placed third in its category and won over all for the best use of colour!

I got two fancy ribbons which the kids oohed and aahed over. Then there was general feed back on all of my quilts (yes, they noticed the red wine stain on my citrus quilt and it was noted on the sheet).

The only thing that really bothered me was the placement of my citrus quilt which was put in the darkest corner of the show. Boo.
The flash makes the citrus quilt a bit brighter, but the
lighting in this corner was terrible!

This ribbon for best use of colour really makes me think about things. In a previous post, I commented that I felt debilitated by colour and as a result tend to pick colours that I know will work. I accept that black works with brown because Coco Chanel did it sixty years ago (or more!), but without Coco, I would never try something so radical.

But then I win this award. Out of the hundreds of entries, I got the one for best use of colour. I don't quite know what to think.

(I also know that my citrus quilt was also in the running for the colour category because they had marked both sheets with "*colour." I really don't know what to think now. My quilts were competing with each other for colour!)

2 comments:

  1. Congrat on the TWO ribbons . . . looking forward to your next project.

    Blessings A.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Lena!!! And although I can't recall ever feeling debilitated by colour, I have to admit that I only noticed now that your citrus quilt has diagonal lines of the same colour. But I could tell myself that that is a pattern issue, not a colour issue... I myself am rather threatened by patterns.

    ReplyDelete